We are invite-only instance for musicians, sound-artists, producers of any kind of aural noise, songwriters, bedroom producers, sonic manglers and algorave livecoders.
We are invite-only to prevent spam accounts and folks just trying out mastodon/fediverse. We are looking for people who want to actively contribute to this fediverse instance. If that describes you, please read our Code of Conduct below and if you agree to it then contact admins (
) for an invite. Please do not ask for account here just to test Mastodon instance. Our resources are scarce and we want close-knit community of fediverse-active music-makers who are already familiar and in need of safe space that they can and know how to use.
Code of Conduct
A primary goal of our community is to be inclusive to the largest number of contributors, with the most varied and diverse backgrounds possible. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all.
This Code of Conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate in our community, as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior.
We invite all those who participate in our community to help us create safe and positive experiences for everyone.
We encourage everyone to participate and are committed to building a community for all. Although we will fail at times, we seek to treat everyone both as fairly and equally as possible. Whenever a participant has made a mistake, we expect them to take responsibility for it. If someone has been harmed or offended, it is our responsibility to listen carefully and respectfully, and do our best to right the wrong.
Although this list cannot be exhaustive, we explicitly honor diversity in age, gender, gender identity or expression, culture, ethnicity, language, national origin, political beliefs, profession, race, colour, immigration status, education level, size, family status, religion, sexual orientation, class, socioeconomic status, and technical ability. We will not tolerate discrimination based on any of the protected characteristics above, including discrimination against participants with disabilities.
We are aware that the definitions and examples for diversity and discrimination have a strong cultural bias and are likely to change over time. They mirror the sensitivities of the SoNoMu community at the time of writing. We welcome suggestions as to how to extend our understanding of discrimination and exclusivism.
- Friendly and patient.
- Welcoming: We strive to be a community that welcomes and supports people of all backgrounds and identities.
- Considerate: Your work will be used by other people, and you in turn will depend on the work of others. Any decision you take will affect users and colleagues, and you should take those consequences into account when making decisions. Remember that we’re a world-wide community, so you might not be communicating in someone else’s primary language.
- Respectful: Not all of us will agree all the time, but disagreement is no excuse for poor behavior and poor manners. We might all experience some frustration now and then, but we cannot allow that frustration to turn into a personal attack. It’s important to remember that a community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one.
- Understanding of differences of opinion: Disagreements, both social and technical, happen all the time. It is important that we resolve disagreements and differing views constructively. Remember that we’re different. The strength of our community comes from its diversity. Different people have different perspectives on issues. Being unable to understand why someone holds a viewpoint doesn’t mean that they’re wrong. Don’t forget that it is human to err and blaming each other doesn’t get us anywhere. Instead, focus on helping to resolve issues and learning from mistakes.
- Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert community leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
- You are invited to use the SoNoMU mastodon instance to share your own projects and events, commercial or noncommercial, that directly involve creation of musical/sonic content. Posting your artistic projects is specifically encouraged.
- You may also share news of projects and events that are only topically related to musical creativity, provided that they are noncommercial.
- Avoid using the community as a platform to advertise commercial products that lack direct connections to music.
- Self-promotion postings should be in courteous volumes and preferably include good descriptions.
Unacceptable behaviors include: intimidating, harassing, abusive, culturally appropriative, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning speech or actions by any participant in our community online and in one-on-one communications carried out in the context of the community.
Harassment includes, but is not limited to:
- Harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, age, regional discrimination, political or religious affiliation
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment
- Deliberate misgendering. This includes deadnaming or persistently using a pronoun that does not correctly reflect a person’s gender identity. You must address people by the name they give you when not addressing them by their username or handle
- Inappropriate depictions of violence (including boosts)
- Threats of violence, both physical and psychological
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Deliberate intimidation
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention, including gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect others from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
The SoNoMu community prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. We will not act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you”
- Refusal to explain or debate social justice concepts
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any community member, including those with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated. Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
If a community member engages in unacceptable behavior, the community organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including a temporary ban or permanent expulsion from the community without warning.
If You Witness or Are Subject to Unacceptable Behavior
If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify a administrator or moderator as soon as possible. Additionally, administrator & moderators are available to help community members engage with local law enforcement or to otherwise help those experiencing unacceptable behavior feel safe.
If you feel you have been falsely or unfairly accused of violating this Code of Conduct, you should notify one of the moderators or administrator with a concise description of your grievance. Your grievance will be handled in accordance with our existing governing policies.
License and attribution
This SoNoMu Code of Conduct is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) license. It is based on the SuperCollider Code of Conduct.
SoNoMu (SoundNoiseMusic) was a website that existed in 00s in the context of UK underground electronic music - it supported labels, events and artists and was created by "State51 Conspiracy". This Mastodon instance has no connection to that effort apart from the name. We'd like to acknowledge that slice of history: https://web.archive.org/web/20120829164558/http://sonomu.net/about/