Bug content: Cicada
Just got given a private concert by this big boy sitting outside of my living room window. First time I got to see a live one up close. They are impressive, and very very loud.
I recorded some of his song, hope there's not too much background noise.
And I wouldn't mind if he moved on now. He's really quite loud. But I don't want to rush him, he's got a tough enough life already.
Sampler shenanigans: Recorded three simple guitar riffs, sliced them up in Sample Drum, then sequenced them tonally with Marbles and Pamela.
Fun with new #modular #synth tools. Here I'm sending a little sequence into Mimeophone, where it gets delayed, looped, reversed, washed and filtered and kept as background pad. New Pamela's New Workout does a little bit of bass sequencing and modulating, until Mimeophone does a gradual granular fadeout.
I have a house guest for a few days: A Tahitian #ukulele. It's carved from a single piece of wood, and strung traditionally with nylon fishing line.
Sadly the bridge is glued on at the wrong position, so the intonation is way off beyond the 5th fret, but it works fine for simple chords.
My favorite feature is that covering the sound hole at the back can create a wha-wha effect. Just takes a third hand to do so.
I built a track around today's #modular patch, which plays with Plait's speech synthesis models. The track is called "Scraffur Araffur", for obvious reasons.
This is just a rough sketch again, it needs some cleanup in the sound design, some additional parts and so on. Knowing me I'll likely never touch it again, so I'm putting it out there in all it's raw beauty.
Loosely inspired by the Hang player in the park today, I started toying with a 11-notes-over-2-octaves scale that has a b2 in the lower and a 9 in the upper octave. This creates some nice dissonances and interesting chords.
Actually I had more plans for this (different sequence lengths, more harmonic shifting around), but man, have any of you ever noticed how short a day is? I guess this is all I'll manage for today.
Today's #modular patch: Generating some pseudo DnB beats. BD produced by Neutron, SD comes from Plaits, HH is Neutron noise into Veils with an envelope by Tides. Marbles comes up with the beats.
The base of the beat is locked in, but Marbles takes some random values to shift the bias from BD to SD, causing the seemingly random variations. This makes the beat sound a bit more cohesive than pure randomness.
Tokyo Jihen just released a few live videos from a show they recorded last year. It's a bit sad to see them perform in an empty hall, but at least it didn't stop them from going wild with the outfits again.
And you just gotta love Ringo-san's gesture of flicking her guitar pick into the empty auditorium at the end of the song.
Here's a visualization of a bandlimited saw wave, with the unlimited version in the front, which gradually transforms into a pure sine wave at the back by reducing the number of harmonics.
I found time to do some UI polishing on Yazz, and merging some feature branches. Now I just need to tie up a few loose ends on the wavetable import, and the first major release is getting within reach.
I had a nice animated GIF of the UI, but Mastodon doesn't like it, so have some static pic instead.
Got some vacation and am sitting in a park during beautiful warm fall weather. An old man on a bench nearby is practising some kind of Japanese flute, which makes for a really nice atmosphere. Glad I got here at the right time.
(And yes, that's a tiny dog (not mine) in a baby car (actually a tiny dog car). It's a thing here.)
Exploring the spectrum from electronic music to jazz using modular synths and guitar.
SoNoMu (Sound Noise Music) is a mastodon instance for musicians, sound-artists, producers of any kind of aural noise, songwriters, bedroom producers, sonic manglers and algorave livecoders. -> more...